Electrics, anybody ????

Submitted: Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 14:57
ThreadID: 144929 Views:3380 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
At great risk of "too much information", I would like to canvas some learned opinions/advice regarding the R.V.Electronics Fridgeswitch. Had ours in for a couple of years, and thought it was doing its thing.
Last trip we stopped for lunch, about an hour and then stopped at our son's house for about an hour and a half, unloading grandkids.
I noticed when we got home and plugged in to 240v again, that the battery charger indicated a low battery, as did my battery monitor inside the camper.
This indicated to me that perhaps the "Fridgeswitch" hadn't turned "off" the 12v power after 3 minutes , the way it should have.
So firstly , have I got the wiring correct , as per photo ? Pretty sure the red wire is positive, and the white is Earth. Have checked as much as I can and can't find a problem.
Second, while I can get "connectivity" via my multimeter in the Earth wire , can't get any life in the positive wires, either connected to the Fridgeswitch, or when the the Fridgeswitch is disconnected.
Should I be able to get a "connectivity" beep when just connecting to the two ends of the positive wire ?
Any help, other than "dump the 3way", would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 15:47

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 15:47
No you only get connectivity between the two red wires when the fridge switch turns on, I'm assuming it is turned off.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 641814

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 12:37

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 12:37
You have a multimeter…..so set it to dc volts and check voltages…..1st at the vehicle side, then at the fridge side of the fridgeswitch.
I assume you will get no voltage at the fridge side……then unscrew the fridgeswitch and gently move it around and see if the voltage appears at the fridge side…..and then let the switch sit still and see if the fridge voltage disappears after 1, 2 or 3 minutes. This last bit is the important bit to see if the switch operates and disconnects voltage after stopping.
AnswerID: 641822

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 12:55

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 12:55
Thanks for the replies. I have done as you recommend and no joy. I have decided to send the switch to the makers and have them check it over. Meantime, no Fridgeswitch.
Still can't work out how the camper battery was so much discharged after the day's run, when supposedly the camper battery is not connected to the fridge.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641823

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 16:03

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 16:03
There's a little perspex window in the fridge switch. That turns on when the fridge switch connects power to the fridge (you appear to have it wired correctly). So with power coming from the car, tap the fridge switch gently with the blunt end of a screwdriver, and a green light should appear in the window, indicating that fridge switch is working correctly. After about 90 seconds, the light should go out, indicating the fridge switch is working correctly and has disconnected the fridge from the car.
Are you sure you aren't blaming the fridge switch for another problem. Perhaps the vanbattery has dropped a cell and is therefore not working correctly, or is the van battery no longer charging from the car?
(Note: if wired correctly by the van manufacturer, the fridge cannot run on DC from the van battery as there is diode protection to prevent such operation.)
FollowupID: 921182

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 16:24

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 16:24
Thanks for that .......
Can't get that green light to activate. Your suggestion re other electrical problems is a good one. The van battery seems OK but I'll check it again. Seems to be charging and holding charge , but I'll disconnect it and see how it goes.
I have discovered that the "pink" wire from the van side, which turns off the fridge when the car engine isn't running, doesn't have a counterpart on the truck side 12 pin plug. Changed cars from the original and although the trailer plug is standard 12 pin, I can't see the "pink" wire in the truck side trailer plug. Just has two large wires ( for fridge ?) and one red between them.
Might get an auto sparky to have a looksee , as I'm starting to feel out of my depth here.

Thanks for your suggestions ...... appreciated.
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921183

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 18:53

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 18:53
Jim,
From what you say, I'd suggest the Fridgeswitch and the van battery are both OK, but neither is getting 12V power as you have changed cars and the new truck 12-pin isn't correctly wired. A competent auto-electrician will be able to sort it for you.
Let us know how you get on.
Keir
FollowupID: 921185

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 19:08

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 19:08
I think you are right Keir, and Monday will see me on the phone. Have checked the battery and it is fine.
Will send the fridgeswitch to the makers to have it checked.
Just hate having anything not working as it should, and unfortunately 12v electrics are not my strong point.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921186

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 10, 2022 at 00:04

Monday, Oct 10, 2022 at 00:04
Jim, for your edification, there are several ways an AES fridge can be wired, see the PDF file below. I suggest you print it off and take it to your auto sparkie, he may not be familiar with AES fridges.

Regarding the diode mentioned above, these are only incorporated in Jayco and a few other brands of campers and caravans. Most brands do not use them.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921187

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Oct 10, 2022 at 07:55

Monday, Oct 10, 2022 at 07:55
Thanks Peter.
My old 2330 model isn't AES , but thanks for the info. Hopefully I won't be looking at a new fridge in the near future.
Will try to get an auto elec today to have a look at the trailer plugs and wiring.

Cheers and thanks
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921188

Sponsored Links